Skechers is widely known for their durable and tough work shoes that can withstand different work environments. From restaurant server to office worker, no matter your job you can find a Skechers work shoe for you.
Skechers come with several features like a reinforced steel toe to ensure you can safely do your job, no matter what it is. They also come in several different width and size options to suit every foot shape.
Because a number of people around the world work in areas with wet or slippery surfaces, they may need a slip-resistant and comfortable shoe that will ensure no slips or pain in the feet.
In addition to being slip-resistant thanks to the rubber used on the sole, Skechers are also quite comfortable. Skechers are one of the best brands when it comes to this.
Skechers shoes are known to deliver better performance with all their products, including work boots. Most Skechers shoes are made from genuine leather which makes them quite durable, and great comfort for someone who stands for long. However, there are also other Skechers work shoes made from synthetic materials.
Skechers' work shoes come in different styles and designs, as well as a variety of size options. They're also available in almost any color you can think of. However, some Skechers may require a break-in period, and can also be bulky.
If you're in search of better alternatives to Skechers, then keep reading.
Pros of Skechers
- Durable and sturdy
- Great arch support
- Ample cushioning
- Great traction
- Roomy toe box
- Great for different jobs like restaurant server
- Size options for men and women
- Options in almost every color.
Cons of Skechers
- Some might require some time to break-in
Best Alternative to Skechers Work Shoes: Vessi
Vessi is one of the footwear brands known for its quality and dependable products. Their multipurpose, all-in-one innovative sneakers are a breath of fresh air in the stuffy footwear industry.
In addition, and as opposed to Skechers, the brand uses patented waterproof technology to provide shoes that have the highest level of performance and can withstand different conditions all year.
We can all agree that struggling with too full closets is something we all experience. And we can also all agree that having one shoe suitable for all seasons is quite amazing. That's what Vessi offers. They recognized the problem and came up with a solution. While Skechers also offers a great product, it can't compete in this case.
With their multipurpose sneakers, you're now able to have one shoe that works with rain, cold, snow, and heat - boots no longer required!
The best part of the brand, however, is that their shoes are made from sustainable, vegan-friendly, and environmentally friendly manufacturing processes. Unlike Skechers, this means that they don't use any animal products, consume less energy and water, and ensure they leave a lower carbon footprint in their manufacturing process.
All their shoes feature a patented Dyma-tex membrane that has been woven into the knitting creating the waterproof fabric they're known for. And, where Skechers offers regular uppers, Vessi's upper is made from engineered material for additional stretch.
Vessi shoes also come with antibacterial insoles, an anti-slip herringbone grip, and moisture-wicking fabric. With all the benefits of these shoes, it can be a challenge to know which one to get. Here is a review of the three different styles available to help you select the best option for you.
1. Vessi Everyday Sneaker
Vessi's Everyday sneakers are a great alternative to Skechers because they are designed with additional cushioning for added support. In addition, they come with sportier soles that ensure comfort even when wearing them all day at work.
The sole has a feature zone that pushes water away which will help in giving you better traction in the rain or snow. While Skechers offer a similar feature, Vessi sneakers are also lightweight and great for both work and personal life activities.
With the extra arch support that these shoes offer, they can be used in different work settings as well as hiking or running.
Lastly, the shoes feature a breathable knit, are 100% waterproof, and are also made of vegan materials and sustainable manufacturing processes.
This fashionable shoe allows you to pick a color from the 5 different options they offer.
- Great cushioning
- 100% Waterproof
- Different color and size options
- Extra arch support
- Breathable knit
- Vegan materials
- Size options for men and women
- Not machine washable
- Color options might be a little low
2. Vessi Weekend Sneaker
The Vessi Weekend sneakers are the newest style in the Vessi collection, and another great alternative to Skechers. These shoes have a bulkier shape compared to the other two styles.
In addition, they feature a wide toe box that creates enough room for your toes to move, so it's a perfect choice for people who need a size for wide feet.
It comes with a few outstanding features that include an all rubber thread, molded insoles for additional support, and a pull tab at the heel that makes the shoe easy to wear.
Moreover, they rise up over the ankle to help provide better arch support, and they are machine washable.
These sneakers are quite breathable due to the semi-circle knitting and the micro air pockets that ensure your shoes remain as comfortable as possible. Like all other Vessi shoes, the Weekend sneakers are also 100% waterproof and can withstand tough weather conditions.
- Wide toe box
- Anti-slip bottom
- Machine washable
- Breathable and secure fit
- Made from vegan-friendly materials
- Easy to wear thanks to the heel tab
- 100% waterproof
- More than one color options
- A bit bulky than the other types
- Simple style
- Not as many color options as other brands
3. Vessi Cityscape Sneaker
Another great alternative to Skechers is the Cityscape sneakers. They feature a minimalistic aesthetic that can be worn with any attire, whether leisure or work. They are extremely lightweight, which makes them a great choice for wearing every day.
Unlike the Skechers, Vessi sneakers are a great option for outdoor excursions since they are 100% waterproof, which means no issue with puddles or mud.
They are also breathable and stretchy to ensure comfortability even when your feet expand because of walking for long distances.
However, these sneakers may not be the best for ice protection because they offer less traction than other styles. Unlike the Everyday Sneakers and some Skechers models, these shoes also don't have extra arch support and they come in only two color options.
- Breathable upper
- Stylish and fashionable
- Great for outdoor excursions
- Made from vegan materials
- Super lightweight
- 100% waterproof
- Only two color options
- Less traction
- Not machine washable
- Other brands offer more color choices
Factors to Consider When Buying Work Shoes
Leather is the most popular material when it comes to working footwear because of its longevity and level of protection.
However, shoes made of pure leather might be expensive to some (Skechers price point for example can be quite high) and with not a lot of size options for people needing a bigger width. For this reason, some people may want to select other material types like mesh, synthetic, or plastic.
It is crucial to understand that different materials affect how a shoe will fit, the comfortability and how long it can last when exposed to different work environments.
Some, like Skechers, have a steel toe padding at the front that is made of carbon fiber, aluminum, kevlar, and other plastic.
2. Comfort and Fit
Since you'll probably be spending at least eight hours daily wearing them at work, it is crucial to select comfortable shoes. Although the comfort level may vary from one shoe to another, here are some features you need to look out for.
- Cushioning- Shoes may come with either synthetic or fabric padding in them to ensure your foot is protected and the muscles are working less and not straining.
- Fitting- The size of the shoe is one of the most important features. This is because a shoe that is too small or too large may injure your toes, create blisters or give you shoe bites. In addition, ensure you have the right shoe size and width such that your heel and ankle don't rub against the shoe. The height of the shoe is also important because a low-cut design might not be able to offer as much ankle protection as high-rise styles.
3. Arch Support
Different shoes come with different levels of arch support. For this reason, you need to know your arch type to determine which shoe will work best for you. Here are the three main arch types.
- Low-arch or flat feet: A low arch may lead to overpronation when walking, which in turn causes stress on the joints and muscles. Shoes that have a straight last and motion control features like guide rails are recommended to improve stability.
- Neutral arch: Also known as normal pronation. A neutral arch may make one bend the foot either inward or outward. This is why a shoe with a semi-curved last, a firm midsole, and a soft heel counter is recommended for improved stability.
- High arch: This may lead to supination, where you only use the outside of your foot when landing. This means that you may put too much pressure on the ankles, toes, and other muscles. A work shoe with a thick and soft midsole with a curved or semi-curved last is recommended.
When it comes to design, there are a number of things you need to consider.
- Insoles- They should be well cushioned for maximum comfort and stability. A removable version is also a great addition so as to customize the fitting.
- Outsole-Since the outsole is the area where you step on the ground, you need to ensure that the tread pattern will effectively zone particles and water from the surface to prevent slipping. Work footwear needs to have flex grooves and rubber soles for better strides and more traction on different types of terrain.
- Midsole- The midsole is the area between the outsole and the insole. The best work shoe should have midsoles that promote flexibility and absorb shock so that you are able to stand or walk with ease. Some of the best midsole materials are foam and gel.
- Toe box- This is the area surrounding your toes. It is important to ensure that the toe box is roomy to enable your feet to move and reduce friction that may cause calluses and painful blisters.
You don't want to keep spending money every week or month buying new shoes just because they are damaged. As a result, you want to ensure that the shoe is durable. To determine durability, you should check the materials used, sole type, construction, and brand reviews.
It is critical to ensure that the work shoe you're buying includes some safety features like waterproof abilities and being slip-resistant.
You need to also check on the toe safety. For that, there are three main types including steel toe, alloy toe, and composite toe.
Steel toe is considered the best when it comes to protection but may make shoes feel bulky. Alloy toe provides lightweight comfort and protection, while composite toe can only be used in areas where there is no risk of large items dropping.
How breathable the shoes are will also determine their comfortability. This is because shoes that are not breathable may lead to sweaty feet.
While shoes made of mesh are considered to be the most breathable, some of them have compromised on durability and protective features like water resistance.
Luckily, there are shoes made from different materials like leather that have incorporated a great balance of all the features. So it would help if you found one that balances all features.
Frequently Asked Questions About Work Shoes
1. What are the best work shoes?
While there are so many brands that manufacture good work footwear, currently, the best option is Vessi. All their shoes are made with a patent waterproof technology, are breathable, and have great cushioning.
They come in three different styles called Everyday, Weekend, and Cityscape sneakers. The type you choose depends on your personal preference and your work environment.
2. Which Vessi shoes are best for standing all day?
The best Vessi shoes for standing all day are the Everyday sneakers. This is because they feature great cushioning and extra arch support to ensure the impact on the feet is reduced. Moreover, they are breathable and lightweight, which enhances comfort.
3. How do I buy good work shoes?
There is a wide range of factors that you need to consider when buying good work shoes. The most important include design, size, and material. Other additional features like waterproof abilities and being slip-resistant are also important.
However, a good work shoe may vary from one person to another depending on the work environment and personal preference.